The Enrichment Program
A team of teachers drawn from across all KLAs including a senior executive, school librarian and teachers from our partner primary schools, prepared and planned for a year 7 Enrichment Program that was implement in 2010.
Outcomes of this program:
• Differentiation of learning tasks according to ability, gender and interests,
• NSW DET Quality Teaching elements in both Learning and Assessment,
• Positive Behaviour for Learning strategies,
• Individual learning programs,
• Development of School to Work and School to Community (including possibility of work with stage 3 students in partner primary schools) strategies,
• Implementation and continuous use of a Learning Skills program,
• Connected classroom and ICT skills development,
• Use of parent/community-based resources in learning and assessment.
The enrichment program is delivered over an 80 minutes lesson once a week for all year 7 students. Five class groups operating at different times to optimise opportunity for using Library, Connected Classroom and ICT and community-based resources.
During term one all year 7 groups undertake a structured learning skills program that aligns closely with the skills needed to undertake the rich tasks in terms 2,3 and 4. During term two the students devise promotional material for stage 3 students that will assist them in their transition from primary to high school. Term three will see year 7 students research an issue that is relevant to the youth of the Manly Warringah area culminating in a mini film festival at The Forest High School. Finally, in term four, students will focus on being global citizens. Students will adopt a region outside their immediate area and research Australian/international social justice/equity issues for young people such as poverty in Australia/third world countries. Forest students will present their findings at the school’s Multicultural Day.
Students at The Forest High School are also given opportunities for further enrichment through a diverse range of co-curricular activities such as debating, public speaking, drama groups, Mock Trial, a range of sporting activities such as chess club and several music performance groups.